Thursday, November 10, 2011

What is Christmas

The wind is a whippin and the lights are down low.  Candles are a burnin and the house smells like Christmas.  I might as well go ahead and admit it, I caved, we started listening to Christmas music.  It feels a little early but I secretly love it!  I absolutely love Christmas!!

I packed the kids up after Madelyn's nap and headed out to Meijer for a quick run through (which is never quick with two littles).  We blasted the heat out and listened to Frosty the Snowman.  The next song began and Madelyn asked "is this Christmas"?
"Yep, it's Christmas" I answered.  
Collin piped in "what's Christmas mommy?" 
"This song is a Christmas song".  
"No but what IS Christmas?"
"Oh!  It's Jesus' birthday!!"
"Why is it Jesus' birthday?"
"Well that is just when he was born and we celebrate!"
"Well how do we give him his gifts?"

hmmm the momma wonders how to explain...

"well since Jesus lives in heaven we don't actually give him gifts, but we still celebrate!  Jesus wants us to love one another so we celebrate his birthday with the people we love and we can give each other gifts.  God loves us so much that He lets us have the presents on his birthday!  Can you believe that?  Isn't that so kind of Him?"

"Yes mommy!  I love him.  I love him to the moon and back, he is so sweet.  Did you know that Jesus can do miracles?  Yep, he can make lots of food from just a little.  He makes everything, food, toys, stores, bricks, even people!"

"He sure does, son, he sure does!"

As each day passes, I pray your love for and knowledge of Christ grows deeper and wider my love...
And may you never lose sight of the true meaning of Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. =} "I have no greater joy than to hear my children are walking in truth." 3 John 4

    ReplyDelete